A list of books that was posted to PAGDIG.org mailing list by N. Maynard as being from his bibliography. Some of these we’ve read, and most we have not. Though others might be interested in some of them.
- Koster, Raph. A Theory of Fun for Game Design. Scottsdale: Paraglyph Press, 2005.
- DeMaria, Rusel; Wilson, Johnny L. High Score!: The Illustrated History of Electronic Games. McGraw-HillOsborne Media, 2003.
- Zimmerman, Eric; Salen, Kate. Rules of Play: Game Design Fundamentals. The MIT Press, 2004.
- Rabin, Steve. Introduction to Game Development. Charles River Media, 2005.
- Castranova, Edward. Synthetic Worlds: The Business and Culture of Online Games. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press, 2005.
- Graham, Paul. Hackers & Painters: Big Ideas from the Computer Age. Sebastopol: O’Reilly Media, Inc., 2004.
- Gee, James Paul. What Video Games Have to Teach Us About Learning and Literacy. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2003.
- Poole, Stephen. Trigger Happy: Video Games and the Entertainment Revolution. New York: Arcade Publishing, Inc., 2004.
- Crawford, Chris. Chris Crawford On Game Design. Indianapolis: New Riders Publishing 2003.
- Crawford, Chris. Chris Crawford On Interactive Storytelling. Berkeley: New Riders Publishing, 2005. Miller, Carolyn Handler. Digital Storytelling. Burlington: Focal Press, 2004.
- Saltzman, Marc. Game Design: Secrets of the Sages. Indianapolis: Brady Publishing, 2000.
- Tufte, Edward R. Visual Explanations. Cheshire: Graphics Press, 1997.
- Tufte, Edward R. The Visual Display of Quantitative Information. Cheshire: Graphics Press, 2001. Friedl, Markus. Online Game Interactivity Theory. Hingham: Charles River Media, 2003.
- Bates, Bob. Game Design: The Art & Business of Creating Games. Roseville: Prima Publishing, 2001.
- Ray, Sheri Graner. Gender Inclusive Game Design. Hingham: Charles River Media, 2004.
- Irish, Dan. The Game Producer’s Handbook. Boston: Thomson Course Technology, 2005.
- Bartle, Richard A. Designing Virtual Worlds. Indianapolis: New Riders Publishing, 2004.
- Rollings, Andrew; Adams, Ernest. Andrew Rollings and Ernest Adams on Game Design. Indianapolis: New Riders Publishing, 2003.
Some others that were posted to the list:
– The Art of Game Design: a book of lenses. by Jesse Schell
– Design Workshop by Tracy Fullerton