The initial Geek & Dad summer 2009 routine now that Geek is on Summer Break from school:
- If Geek gets up first he sneaks to the computer and plays games when Dad isn’t awake to say “no!”
- Dad finally gets up and it’s time to stretch together
- Eat breakfast together
- Exercise – homestead style if possible (today we stacked 3/4 cord of firewood to cure)
- shower, hydrate
- write a poem and other writing if in the mood
- draw for at least 30 minutes, was 45 today (sitting outside).
- computer time (no playing games! :))
- Hopefully we’ll work on some G & D projects together, but so far Dad’s been stuck on some contract work (does help pay the bills though!)
- otherwise Dad does Work while Geek works on whatever he wants; currently he’s evaluating game engines (Torque Game Engine, 2D version) though today he’s drafting D&D® rules (“trying to make the Stormstriker Paragon Path” – whatever that means!).
- Lunch together, ideally outside.
- unless we are doing a non-computer project which hopefully we’ll get to sooner than later, more computer stuff (since Dad’s stuck on a contract that’s what we’ve had to do).
- Hacky-Sack break (reminiscent of the “D-Lab” at Reed College – this is how we took our breaks from programming when I worked there starting in the summer of 1987 or was it Spring of 1986? ah the memory is going!).
- currently, more computer
- Mom comes home, dinner together as a family
- Geek does Tae Kwon Do 3 evenings a week (brown belt currently).
- Dad is reading “Pern” books out loud at bedtime.
The goal is to replace some of that computer time with other types of projects (electronics, building, Making, Music, etc), but so far (all of two days!) that’s been the major activity.